Saturday, August 20, 2011

Critics and Critiques. Which one do we need and heed?

I have a problem with critics. I find I disagree (sometimes vehemently) with a good many of them; and yet, I find I still read their assessments.

And let's face it, there are critics everywhere. Political critics, literature and film critics, art critics. They serve their place, analyzing things so we don't have to, serving as a filter so we can use what they say to decide to check or not check out something for ourselves.

But there is a danger in letting someone else decide what has merit and what does not. I wonder how tinged with bias our own perceptions are once we've let a "professional" have a shot at telling us what they thought.

I wonder how many critics have ever penned a novel, produced a film, written a screenplay, or painted a landscape. How many critics in their chosen field have ever actually worked in a kitchen, created a clay sculpture, arranged an art exhibit with all the attendant background work it takes to even get a venue?

Granted, there are some folks out there who have earned their chops, worked in their industries, and have the balance to give a good critique. But I think perhaps they are in the minority.

It makes me think about the personal critics that rule many people's lives...teachers, preachers, parents. I wonder about the damage I've done unwittingly to my own kids, and ask for forgiveness for the critical judgments I probably put on them over the last 30 some odd years. Because the truth is, opinions are just that. Perhaps most critical reviews should start with the words "In My Opinion..."

Because at the end of the day, any work of creation is a monumental risk and effort. I respect the reviews of people who have walked it, those who still strive to create themselves, those who are willing to be under the spotlight.

But I have to hold suspect anyone who throws out criticism and doesn't have a clue what it means to do whatever they are reviewing. Politics, art, cooking, writing, dance, performance...

And I also am looking hard at not letting other people tell me what I should think. I'm smart enough to experience something for myself and make my own conclusions. So thanks for the critical views...and next time, I'll read those articles afterwards and see if we agree. It could be that I'll see something differently than they have--and that's my part of the partnership I have with the artist\author\creator\politician.

Maybe it should be mandatory that every critic has to be a creator first...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment